I had a stomach dropping moment this past week. You know, one of those "you'll never forget how you felt" times. I was in New Orleans with 17 youth for the National Youth Gathering. We were just finishing our nightly "family group meeting" and we found out that there were storm warnings in Chicago. So, I called my mom...knowing that she was going to have to get two sleeping girls into our very messy basement. After getting Ellie safely down, Lia wouldn't budge. So Grandma Lyn had to carry her. And on the way down, my mom fell and seriously hurt her ankle. Now my mom couldn't get up the basement stairs. I call our wonderful friends, the Budil's, and Brian came over to help.
Here's the catch. The front door is locked. The only way for Brian to get into the house is for Lia to go upstairs and unlock the door for him. By herself. In the dark. During a storm.
So, my mom hands Lia her cell phone and a flashlight. I tell Lia that I will be with her on the phone the whole time. At first, Lia flat out refuses. And cries. But, I explain to her that Mr. Brian needs to help Grandma Lyn. And that Lia needs to let Mr. Brian into the house.
Lia bravely went up the stairs. She let Brian in the house. And I was so proud of her!
Later on that night, Brian locked himself out of the house again. Lia went up the stairs again and let him in. When did my baby become such an amazing little girl?
As an aside, Ellie was happily playing with her toys in the basement, totally oblivious to the storm or to Grandma's injury.
The good news is that my mom's ankle is healing. She is resting, icing, compressing, and elevating!
I thank God for my mom's not-so-bad diagnosis, for amazing friends (Thanks Brian and Mark!), and for one very brave little girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment